- Civilian hardware (latest): Companion 184.108.40.206203 (combat enhancements: ATOS/E 12.0.26)
- Civilian hardware (long-term support): Companion 8.4.5 (combat enhancements: ATOS/E 12.0.7)
- Military hardware: ATOS/CX not yet available
- Autonomous device hardware: ATOS/D not yet available
To check the current version of your OS, use the about command. To check the current version of ATOS Elements for Companion, use the sentinel or reset sentinel command.
To install the latest version of Companion, come to a valid service location, and run the following commands. Remember to put an @ sign before each command if self-operating.
1. Prepare for updating:
keychain save reset xanadu-client
2. Connect to the package server in Eisa with the following command:
xanadu connect xcentral:0
2. Connect to the package server in your service location with the following command:
xanadu connect <server>
The correct server names are:
So, for example, in MetroSomnia, you would type:
xanadu connect xsomnia:0
3. (Optional) For patch notes for this version of Companion, type the following before installing:
xanadu info Companion_220.127.116.11203
A complete version history can be gleaned from the bug console.
4. Install the update package:
xanadu install Companion_18.104.22.168203
If the command yields the message Already installed: Companion_22.214.171.124203 (no useful version on server), try:
xanadu install System
5. Wait for the installation to complete. It usually takes around 20 seconds.
If the process stops at removing old memory card firmware, or another Stage 0 message, it must be restarted.
If you see the message Fatal error in task management: cannot find library for task -1, even multiple times, it can be safely ignored during the installation process. This is a result of the installer checking the OS version on a very old (8.4.5 or earlier) release. If the message persists after installation, you are running new programs on the old OS and need to re-install.
Upgrading from legacy versions: System 8.0 through 8.2.1 did not support operating the package manager via the command line. For these versions, use the menu option manage > software > install > xcentral:0 > Companion_126.96.36.199203 > install
Upgrading from 8.5 and 8.6 pre-release builds: Most versions of 8.5 and 8.6 before 188.8.131.52611 were prone to declare "Package install attempt from wrong key" or a similar error message during package install. There are several means of alleviating this:
- Redelivery: Most controllers will now redeliver with a fixed version of Companion. It may not be the latest development version.
- Guided replacement: An assistant is available at our main store in Eisa, which will provide the 184.108.40.206709 version of _xanadu-client for installing. Click on the white monolith in the lounge area, and follow its instructions. You will then be able to upgrade normally.
- Manual replacement: Use the cache subcommand:
- xanadu connect xcentral:0
- xanadu cache Companion_220.127.116.11203
- Place your controller on the floor and edit it. From its Content, copy the Companion_18.104.22.168203 object into your inventory. This is the OS installer.
- Delete the _xanadu-client script from your controller.
- Rez the Companion_22.214.171.124203 installer object. Find the _xanadu-client script within it (using Edit > Content) and copy that to your inventory.
- Edit the controller again. Place the new version of the _xanadu-client script in your controller.
- Derez the installer, and confirm that _xanadu-client is working with the xanadu list command.
- Finish the installation with: xanadu unpack Companion_126.96.36.199203
ATOS/E is a suite of military extensions for the controller system. It adds support for heat management, automatic nanite repair, and reloading weapons, among other things. For full details, see here.
reset xanadu-client xanadu connect xcentral:0 xanadu install ATOS/E_12.0.26
(Remember to put an @ sign before each command if self-operating. If you are not in Eisa, you may need to use another server instead of xcentral:0, such as xsomnia:0.)
The ATOS/E installer will automatically remove any unnecessary ATOS/E-related files prior to installation, so the above commands can also be used to update an existing ATOS/E installation.
Type the following commands:
xanadu connect xcentral:0 xanadu install Remove-ATOS/E_12.0
Installing from an alternative location
Places listed on our store and services locations page which are described as having Xanadu service can be used as an alternative to Eisa if for some reason you are unable to travel to the colony. Instead of xcentral:0, you will need to connect to the local server, listed next to each location in bold. The historical release repository on xpatch:1 (described below) is only available at Eisa.
Installing other versions
For tracing the origins of software defects or working with pre-release builds, it is sometimes necessary or useful to return to older software versions. You are strongly discouraged from installing builds that were released before your controller model, as these will not support menu displays or battery alignment, and in some cases can even damage or delete the hinge scripts used to open the battery door. Additionally, the system module layout changes between minor versions, potentially resulting in dead code (wasting memory) or unexpected and redundant behavior. To minimize the risk of unexpected consequences, it may be advisable to delete all system scripts except for _cortex, _xanadu-client, _songbird (in user memory), and any _hinge scripts prior to downgrading to an earlier minor version.
- Come to Eisa. (These instructions will not work elsewhere.)
- If you are downgrading from any version of Companion 8.5 or 8.6, type reset xanadu-client
- Connect to the server xpatch:1 using the command xanadu connect xpatch:1
(As before, remember to include an @ at the start of the command if you are self-operating. Additionally, ensure that RLV is enabled and that your chat redirect is working properly with /1capture before attempting to use commands on yourself.)
- Get a list of the available software packages with xanadu list
Not all versions that are available will be listed, especially for the OS you already have installed. For a complete index, find the xpatch:1 server in the Xanadu Server Center and edit it to view its contents.
- Select the package you wish to install, and then type xanadu install <package name>
For example, to install Companion 8.4.0, type xanadu install Companion_8.4.0
Installing the Long-Term Support (LTS) release of Companion and ATOS/E
Certain users may prefer to remain on the previous point release of Companion until the newest version is more mature. These releases have improved stability at the cost of performance, script efficiency, and a smaller feature set. To install an LTS release, follow the standard instructions for installing Companion or ATOS/E, but use the package names LTS-Companion_8.4.5 and LTS-ATOS/E_12.0.7, respectively. If you are downgrading from a newer operating system release to an LTS release, you may need to remove some unneeded system modules manually.
Modules added after 8.4:
- _emotion (TESI only; not supported under 8.4)
- _transceiver (8.6+)
The error message Fatal error in task management: cannot find library for task -1 can be safely ignored, but indicates that an 8.5+ script is attempting to operate in an 8.4 environment. New versions of ATOS/E, TESI, and most applications are not backward compatible, and will need to be downgraded to compatible LTS releases. TESI is not compatible with any version of Companion 8.4.
Installing pre-release versions
For operating system projects like Companion, we follow the keyword scheme below for major (x.0) and minor (0.x) releases:
- milestone (e.g. 8.5m1): Major development is on-going. The new version is missing major features and is not suitable for everyday use.
- alpha (e.g. 8.4a1): Minor development is on-going. The new version is mostly complete, but is not suitable for everyday use.
- beta (e.g. 8.4b1): Features are settled, and bugs are being found. Most users will not regularly encounter issues.
- release candidate (e.g. 8.4rc1): The update is finished, but bugs are still likely. A release candidate may be promoted to a final release.
- rolling release (e.g. 8.4r1): Perfection is an unattainable goal. Your suffering is subjective. Rolling release builds usually follow a long series of decreasingly flawed release candidates.
Additionally, when the development cycle is particularly slow between pre-release versions, we may put out a build identified by a date, e.g. 8.4b20160923 or 188.8.131.52126. These are typically changed to point versions of milestones, e.g. 8.4m2.1.
ATOS/E pre-releases: These must usually be used in tandem with a corresponding pre-release of Companion. Mismatched versions will result in incompatibilities.
To install the current pre-release of Companion, use:
keychain save reset xanadu-client xanadu connect xbeta:0 xanadu install System_184.108.40.206203
If the package is not found, it may have been renamed to ensure compatibility when upgrading from one pre-release to another. Type xanadu list to see the full list of packages on the server. You must be standing somewhere in the Eisa region to access xbeta:0.
There are no prerelease versions of ATOS/E currently available. To get the newest updates, install the latest versions from a primary server, as described earlier in this article.